Still can’t find what you are looking for?


First Response

First Response


Q. What is First Response?
A. First Response is the First program of its kind in The Cayman Islands that provides on-location accident service and support. It will provide, on location, accident assistance and facilitate a speedier claims process for clients whose vehicles are insured through CF.

Q. Who can use First Response?
A. First Response is offered exclusively to clients whose private vehicle insurance is provided by CF.

Q. Does it cost anything to use First Response?
A. The program is offered at no additional charge, or increase in premium.

Q. Where is First Response available?
A. First Response is available in Grand Cayman only.

Q. Are there plans to extend the service to other areas in the Cayman Island?
A. Currently, there are no immediate plans to extend the service beyond Grand Cayman

Q. Can I purchase the First Response service if I am not insured through Cayman First?
A. No. First Response is an exclusive service for clients whose vehicles are insured by CF.

Q. What are the hours of operation?
A. First Response operates during the hours of 8:00 am and midnight. The service is available 7 days per week, 365 days per year.

Q. What should I do if I am in an accident between midnight and 8:00 am?
A. Your should notify the police immediately. Contact First Response at 94-First/943-4778 when the First Response Unit opens at 8:00 am.

Q. What happens when the First Response van arrives?
A. The First Response team will:

  • Notify the Police if they are not already present.
  • Call an ambulance, if required.
  • Check on the safety of all persons involved and secure all valuables as appropriate.
  • Facilitate exchange of driver and Insurance information.
  • Obtain basic accident information.
  • Photograph the scene and examine the vehicles.
  • Initiate Insurance claim and prepare a repair estimate.
  • Call a wrecker to take the vehicle to an approved shop*.
  • Assist with transportation.

Q. I don’t carry a mobile phone, how can I call First Response?
A. Under no circumstances should you leave the scene of an accident to look for a phone. Ask the other driver(s) or witnesses if they have a phone you may borrow, use a pay phone or wait for the Police to arrive.

Q. Should I call if the damage is minor and/or if there are no injuries?
A. Always call First Response and let the response team determine the best course of action.

Q. What type of claims will First Response deal with?
A. First Response will handle all road accidental damage matters and excludes:

  • Windscreen claims
  • Motor theft claim investigations, or
  • Bodily injury claims related to motor accidents
  • Auto Fire claims investigations
  • Loss by submersion
  • Malicious damage
  • Lightning damage
  • Flood damage

Q. Mechanical failures What will happen to the Claims Department of Cayman First?
A. The Claims Department will continue to function and deal with:

  • Auto Fire claims investigations
  • Motor theft claim investigations
  • Bodily injury claims related to motor accidents
  • All property and casualty claims, and all
  • Marine claims

Q. Are there circumstances when I should not call First Response?
A. Yes. Do not call First Response if there is engine trouble or a flat tire. Also, do not call if you are not involved in an accident .

Q. What should I do while I wait for First Response to arrive?
A. You should:

  • Remain calm.
  • Secure your valuables as much as possible.
  • Do not admit liability, and
  • Do not make an offer of payment to any person at the scene.

Q. How long will it take for the First Response team to arrive?
A. Response times may vary depending on the call load, weather, traffic, and other factors. When you call, a First Response representative will provide an estimated arrival time.

Q. What information do I need to provide?
A. The customer should provide the policy-owner name, driver’s license, vehicle registration document, and location of the accident.
What happens if I am unable to provide this information, (for example, because I have forgotten my wallet)?
Always check that you have essential documents with you.

Q. Do I need to do anything afterward?
A. First Response will help prepare an accident report and insurance claim. Follow up with the Police whether or not you intend to file a claim.

Q. Do I need to pay a tip to the First Response Team?
A. This program is offered absolutely free. You are not required or expected to offer a gratuity.

Q. If I use First Response, will my premiums increase?
A. No. First Response is designed in part to keep Cayman First-insured drivers’ rates as low as possible by investigating and initiating the claim process at the scene of the accident.

Q. Do I have any other obligations?
A. Yes. You must cooperate with insurers as required under the terms of your policy. First Response has the right to try to recover all expenses incurred from the third parties or their insurers, if it is clear that their negligence caused the accident.


*Approved Shops
R&R Auto
49 Durham Dr., KY1-1007,
Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Tel: (345) 949-1613
Vampt Motors
368 Walkers Road, KY1-1107
George Town, Grand Cayman
Tel: (345) 949-2245
R Auto Body Shop Ltd
Airport Warehouse Bldg 10
Durham Dr Ind’l Pk,
Grand Cayman KY1-1004
Tel: (345) 949-5728
Parsons’ Paint Bodyshop
Hell Rd WB, KY1-1301
Grand Cayman
Tel: (345) 926-0154
Andy’s Auto Sales Service
Fountain Rd KY1-1401, West Bay,
Grand Cayman
Tel:(345) 949-3391

Home Insurance


Q. Am I required to have homeowners insurance?
A. Because your home is likely one of your largest assets, it’s a good idea to maintain coverage even if you do not owe any money on it. If you use your home as collateral or security for a mortgage, home equity or other type of loan, your lender will require coverage.Q. Are all polices the same?
A. All policies are not the same. They vary in the extent and scope of coverage. You can purchase Fire only, Homeowners including Catastrophe or Homeowner Excluding Catastrophe insurance to cover your home (s) . We have a special policy designed for strata owners.Q. What is a Catastrophe?
A. Hurricane, Tornado, Storm or Flood, and Earthquake are considered catastrophic events under your homeowners policy.Q. Does my homeowner’s policy cover property that may be temporarily removed from my home?
A. Yes, contents temporarily removed to a bank safe deposit, another occupied private dwelling or any building where members of your household live or are conducting business within the Cayman Islands. Contents temporarily removed are subject to a limit of 15% of the sum insured on your Contents.

Q. Does my policy cover damage caused when a tree on my property fell on my car?
A: No. Your homeowner’s policy will not cover the damage to your automobile. If you have comprehensive coverage under your automobile policy, that policy should cover the damage.

Q. Does my policy cover damage done to inventory for my small in-home business?
A. No. Your homeowner’s policy does not cover business activities conducted at your home.

Q. How can I calculate the replacement value of my belongings?
A: Generally, the replacement value of your personal property is the amount it would cost to replace it with like or similar items. To be sure you have enough coverage, prepare a detailed written inventory of all your items, including make, model and the price paid, where available. Videotaping your property is a good idea, and you should also have a written inventory. Keep the inventory in a safe place in case you suffer a loss. Ask about our electronic vault service, which provides electronic storage of documents through our website at no additional charge.

Q. Is my landlord responsible for damage to my personal property if there is a fire?
A. No, and that’s exactly why you, as a tenant should buy householders contents insurance. This cover will provide protection for your personal property against loss or damage caused by insured perils usually covered in our householder’s policies.

Q. Is the removal of a tree that fell on my roof during a hurricane covered by homeowner’s insurance?
A. The removal of the tree would also be covered in this instance. You should note that the cost of removal of a tree in the absence of damages to your building would not be covered.

Q. Is the property I have in my car covered for theft under my homeowner’s policy?
A. No. Property stolen from out of your car will not be covered. The theft cover for property temporarily removed applies only if such property was in a building and there was forced entry into or out of it.

Q. What does my homeowner’s policy pay if a neighbor slips on my property and sues?
A. We will pay for any injury or property damage (subject to policy limits) suffered by non-residents occurring at your home provided it was your fault that caused such injury or damage. The policy will also pay the medical bills incurred. In addition, we will pay for any other costs, expenses and legal fees which you are legally obliged to pay (subject to our written consent) .

Q. Who pays for the rental home or apartment that my family is in while our house is being repaired due to damage by an insured peril?
A. The Rent Alternative Accommodations provision in your insurance policy should cover any additional living expenses, such as temporary housing, that you incur while your home is being repaired. However, cover is limited to 10% of the sum insured on your building and if applicable , your contents. Your home must be rendered uninhabitable for this provision to apply.

Q. What does the policy condition of “average” or “underinsurance” mean ?
A. If at the happening of any loss, damage to the property insured is less than 85% of the full replacement value at the time of loss, the insured is responsible for the difference of the loss or damage e.g.

If the Rebuilding Cost of the home is
Policy Sum Insured is
Amount of Claim is
The amount Paid will be
$ 75,000
$ 37,500

In the above example, the policy sum insured is only 50% of the rebuilding cost (i.e. $100k/$200k). Since this is outside the 85% concession allowed by the policy, the amount paid is reduced by the degree of under insurance. The degree of underinsurance is 50%, so the amount claimed ($75,000) is reduced by 50% to $37,500.

Private Motor Insurance


Q. How does my previous driving record affect my motor premium?
A. The premium that you pay is a reflection of your driving record amongst other factors. Drivers who have a good or unblemished driving record are entitled to No Claims Discounts.Q. If my car is “totaled”, will my insurance company pay the sum insured shown on my current policy schedule?
A. Not necessarily. Your policy pays the market value of your vehicle or the sum insured (whichever is less) at the time of the loss. Simply put, market value is the price that your car would be expected to “fetch” on the open market in its current condition. The sum insured on your vehicle may differ significantly from its “market value” as most vehicles depreciate in value as time goes by.Q. Does my private motor comprehensive policy provide coverage for a rental car if my vehicle is disabled following a motor accident?
A. Yes. The loss of use benefit is a standard part of your comprehensive motor policy. We will pay for the rental of a motor vehicle from a recognized rental car franchise up to limits of $50.00 per day and a maximum of $500.00 in total. This policy coverage also pays for a rental car if your vehicle is stolen or damaged by fire. Special restrictions may apply.Q. Is anyone who drives my car with my permission covered by my motor policy?
A. No. Your certificate of motor insurance shows the drivers’ names that are covered or it may specify certain groups of drivers. These authorized drivers must hold licences to drive and must not be disqualified from holding one. You should not allow an uninsured driver to use your vehicle under any circumstance.

Q. If I have a comprehensive or third party, fire and theft on my vehicle, what happens (in the event of a total loss) if the loan on my vehicle is more than the market value determined by my insurance company?
A. There could be any number of reasons for this including increased interest rates and or pledging your vehicle as security on a personal loan or others. We are only obligated to pay you the market value of your vehicle at the time of loss and not the loan balance payable to your bank. Your bank is likely to hold you personally responsible for any shortfall in such cases.

Q. Aren’t all losses covered by my “comprehensive” motor policy?
A. No. Your comprehensive policy pays for most losses or damages to your motor vehicle, its accessories and spare parts on it. But, we will not pay for any loss or damage due to the following:

  • consequential losses (except loss of use subject to certain limits and restrictions)
  • depreciation, wear and tear, electrical and mechanical breakdown
  • damage to tires unless your vehicle itself has been damaged
  • damages caused to your vehicle during transit by sea

Q. Am I entitled to a No Claims Discount every year at renewal?
A. You would be entitled to a No Claims Discount (maximum 60% on comprehensive and 20% on third party) in accordance with our scales provided that no claim was “made” or arose under your policy during that particular policy period.

Q. If I sell my vehicle, can I also transfer my insurance to the buyer?
A. You cannot do so without our expressed consent In any case, any of the benefits that you were entitled to under the policy (for example, your No Claims Discount) will not be transferable to the buyer. You will no longer have an interest in the vehicle so really the buyer should take out his own motor policy to cover the motor vehicle.

Q. How soon should I notify insurers in the event of an accident or other loss?
A. You should notify your insurers as soon as possible by giving them full written particulars.

Q. Can I cancel my insurance policy at any time during the policy period?
A. Yes. However, you must return the policy and the current certificate of insurance to us. You may also be entitled to a refund of the portion of the premium paid.

Q. My car has been stolen / destroyed by fire. Should I get the police report before coming in to insurers?
A. You should immediately report any loss to us. Do not wait to get the police report before doing so. We will formally request a police report. The police will not usually release reports for auto thefts / fires without a letter from us.

Q. Can I claim for personal effects that were in my car when it was stolen or destroyed by fire?
A. Personal effects are covered under your motor policy up to $100.

Q. If I am able to contain and extinguish my auto fire, do I still need to notify the fire department?
A. Yes. All auto fires must be reported to the police; They will investigate (inspect the vehicle interview the insured) to determine the cause (e.g. arson, electrical etc.)

Q. What is the difference between Third Party and Comprehensive cover?
A. Third Party insurance will cover damage to a third party and their property only, it will not cover personal property or loss incurred by the insured. A comprehensive policy will cover both Third Party damages and that of the insured, subject to policy conditions.

Q. What are the common policy restrictions available and there meanings?

  • Insured Only; Only the insured(s) is authorized to drive the vehicle.
  • Insured and Named Drivers; The insured and all drivers specifically mentioned are authorized to drive the vehicle.
  • 25 and Over; The insured(s) and anyone 25 and over who holds a valid driver’s license.

Marine Insurance


Q. Do I have to insure my boat?
A. You are not legally required to insure your boat. However, if you are financing the purchase of your boat, the lender will most often require insurance coverage listing them as a loss payee to cover their interest in your boat. Some marinas may ask you to provide some proof that your boat is insured when mooring it at their marina.

Q. What amount of insurance should I buy?
A. There are two important covers to consider when insuring your boat. They are , Hull Machinery (your boat and attached equipment) and Liability.

You should insure your boat (hull machinery) to the current market value. This will ensure that in the event of a total loss to your boat, you will recover what the boat is worth.

Liability coverage protects you if you are at fault for property damage and bodily injury claims to third parties or passengers in your boat . The coverage has three key components. It will investigate your loss, defend you if you are not at fault and pay up to the policy limit if you are at fault.

Q. How much will my boat insurance premium be?
A. Many factors determine what your boat insurance premium will be.

  • The value, size and age of the boat
  • Any other policy limits
  • Mooring location
  • The use of the boat
  • The loss/claims history of the owner/operator
  • Increased Deductible

Q. What is a survey and do I need one?
A. Boat surveys provide details on the condition and valuation of a boat. A survey may uncover hidden defects, mechanical and structural problems that are not always visible or detectable by the boat owner/operator. Before purchasing an older boat, you should always get a boat survey.
Q. Can I buy just liability insurance coverage?
A. Yes. You can purchase liability insurance only on your boat without insuring it for physical damages.

Driving Tips


  1. Always be on the look-out for cyclists – they meander in and out of traffic, or do not always obey traffic rules!
  2. Before exiting a minor road or parking lot onto a main road – ensure it is clear by looking back and forth each way at least twice before proceeding. Do not assume blinking lights are meant for you (even if the vehicle slows down) – it could be meant for someone else, perhaps a friend of the other driver passing, or a vehicle could be travelling much faster than you think it is, impairing your judgment. If the way is clear, move swiftly and in control when you exit.
  3. Always watch the rear of the vehicle ahead of you! Do not assume they are clear-thinking drivers and may brake without apparent reason! They could also be under the influence of alcohol or drugs, attending to a disruptive child, or may be having a domestic dispute which may cause irrational driving. You hit a car from behind – the police will more than likely blame it on you!
  4. Do not always assume it is safe to turn because you have your traffic signal on! Check for vehicles attempting to overtake your car before turning!
  5. Do not move off when you check for clearance to make your exit! – you may wrongfully assume the person ahead of you is gone and you may end up causing a rear-end accident!
  6. Do not pick up passengers on the road – unless you know who they are and it is safe for you to pick them up! You don’t want to be another statistic of rape, robbery or left standing on the roadside!
  7. Always have a designated driver if you drink often! – you may not realize you are above the limit. And you don’t want to lose your driver’s license (especially when you rely on it for your living!). Serious accidents can occur if you drive drunk – many fatalities and serious bodily injuries are caused by drunk driving.
  8. Reduce your speed before you negotiate a corner! – do not attempt to negotiate a corner with speed, especially on wet roads! Unless you like having your car on roll-over!
  9. Drive at least two car lengths behind the person ahead of you, if possible.
  10. Understand the use of the roundabout! – many drivers do not know how to use the roundabout. Check and follow the rules of the Road Code!
  11. Always be conscious of pedestrians, watch the pedestrian crossing and stop if persons are waiting to cross!
  12. Do not text and drive, dial a number or pick up a dropped item, or attempt to attend to a spilled cup without pulling over! Always keep your eyes on what is ahead of you! Distractions when driving are dangerous – one second of distraction could mean the death or serious injury to a child running out in the road to collect a ball!
  13. Use your seat belts and encourage your passengers to use them! – It saves lives! It may cost you dollars if the police stop you and you don’t have them on!
  14. Avoid break-ins! – do not leave wallets, purses or items of value on seats! This attracts thieves and your car will be burglarized!
  15. Lock your car every time and take your keys with you! Avoid theft of your vehicle!
  16. Drive within the speed limit!
  17. Do not accept fault for an accident at the scene – report the facts to your insurer first!

Happy, Safe Driving – Our drivers come first, at Cayman First!